Friday, September 7, 2007

Leg 13 - Meridian, MS to Collins, MS






My first time in Mississippi to really see the views and it was surprisingly nice. Lots of raw land between cities, but it was mostly gentle rolling hills - a few big hills. Tough starting out today as I faced a head wind for the first 50 miles and probably the residual effects of the two previous days efforts. Spent the second half today on Rt 84 - a.k.a. El Camino East/West Corridor - see picture. It's a 1,700 miles highway from Georgia to El Paso that's been the focus of business leaders to convert to 4 lanes. I love 4 lane routes - it provides a lane for all traffic to pass me at a safe distance. Unfortunately - Louisiana lags behind the other 4 states in expanding to 4 lanes so I'll lose the luxury when I get there in a day or two. It's great on trips like this to roll into a small town and be able to find a good atmosphere, hotel and local restaurant - Collins, MS is where we are tonight. Rolled thru the larger town of Laurel, MS today thinking that's where we would be staying - thankfully kept going further for a total 97 miles to Collins. Had a great dinner at Morgan's on Main - fried green tomatoes with crawfish sauce for an appetizer- wow! Depending on forecast for Sunday - I may cut tomorrow short to rest and watch some football.


BTW - I can only receive email as I'm having difficulty sending, but will respond to all your emails when I get back to Austin.

2 comments:

Don & Joanne said...

Mississippi is beautiful indeed and to have made that many miles with a headwind of that magnitude, you must be burning calories like crazy! The fried green tomatoes and wonderful food make me wish we could have joined you all for dinner tonight. You will be cooking that for us when you get home, won't you?
Enjoy the weekend and be careful!

Don & Jo

Don Wilson said...

D:

Your efforts yesterday and today have exhausted me - had to have a Foster's tonght!

Proud of your tenacity. Keep up the drive (no pun intended) toward your goal!

Hope you will be able to get that extra rest tomorrow!

Love and respect, Dad