Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Last Leg - Bastrop, Tx to Austin, Tx




Home Sweet Home! The last 27 miles in today went quickly - with traffic screaming by - Austin is wide awake at 7am. Decided to snake my way through town on some familiar streets. Entry from the airport was on 7th street and after a few turns I headed west toward downtown on the famous 6th street - where I spent many weekends when I first came to Austin. Then I headed a few more streets south to 3rd St so that I could enjoy a longer ride up the main street, Congress Ave, towards the capitol. The first photo is the welcoming crew - appreciate our friends for coming down and the posters.

Most of you will recognize Deana and April in the second photo and April's handiwork on the car welcoming me home.

Thanks to my family for making this trip possible - I couldn't have done it without their help. Deana and April for holding down the fort in Austin and letting me plan/leave for the trip, my sister Bronwyn and her husband Jay and son Tucker for driving down to S. Carolina to take over the chase car and their support, Dad for manning the support car, and Mom for rearranging her life to be able to follow me for two plus weeks, losing her truck in the process, and putting up with my sunny disposition every day. Also - appreciate the emails, comments on the blogs, text messages, and calls from family and friends - it made each day easier. I would like to extend thanks to Jon Hupp of Star Physical Therapy in south Austin and especially Ken Moench of the Therapy Central of Round Rock for the pre-ride treatments to ease my lower back pain and for the stretching exercises I did every night to keep my body on the bike - they were critical in keeping me riding.

Finally, I wish I could tell you that I had lots of revelations during my three weeks in solitary mode on the bike - but I didn't. No new ideas for business opportunities or a focus for what I'm going to do now. Most of the time I was focused on measuring my energy output vs. speed productivity or what lay directly ahead on the road. What I did learn was really a confirmation of some of the reasons why I started this trip in the first place: an appreciation of the things I have and the accomplishments leading up to this point. I started this ride in DC specifically because I have a high regard for our government and military, and know that many of the liberties I have are a result of the sacrifices of many. Even with its faults and scandals, I think our system works pretty well. Beginning my ride past the monuments dedicated to past presidents, museums, WWII Veterans, Vietnam and Korean Vets, and Arlington National Cemetery was a reminder that I've had it pretty easy. Traveling through the 8 southern states on my way back to Austin was an eye opener that I live in a great city and have access to resources, culture, and conveniences that many do not have. So, part of my outlook and continued challenge will be to incorporate that realization into how I conduct myself with family, friends, and strangers. Sorry if this sounds corny, but its the biggest take away for me from this trip. Also - adventure vacations are pretty cool and the sense of accomplishment is worth the additional time/cost of planning. I hope this isn't my last.

3 comments:

Don & Joanne said...

And the next adventure is when???

Rocky Mountain Hands said...

Wow! Impressive!!
That is an amazing accomplishment. Now please tell us the truth, that you are somehow actually the one who rear-ended your Mom's truck. I know it's just a matter of time until the truth is told!
What's next?

Unknown said...

Welcome Home DeWayne,
Glad the rest of your trip was uneventful and truly enjoyed reading your blogs.

Take care,
Jodi