Thursday, August 30, 2007

Leg 07 - Chester, SC to Abbeville, SC



Riding without a support car is insane - couldn't have accomplished today's ride without Boo to help. Was able to log 85 hilly miles, but lost a lot of valuable time to a blowout on my rear tire - and then another because the tire wall was split and couldn't hold the tube under pressure. Thankfully, had another tire in reserve, but that's it, so we stopped in Greenwood to pick up more spares. Picture is Boo and me at the Dairy Barn having a soft serve cone in Greenwood - one of those old businesses likely serving ice cream for decades. Will try to make it to Athens tomorrow and then pick up and drive to the reunion - will then back track on Monday to Athens to start heading into Alabama.

5 comments:

Texas Custom Signs said...

Keep it rolling big guy. I know you have one of those 150 miles day rides in you to catch up. lol.

If you would not stop for ice cream every few miles then cold beer you would log a few more miles each day.

I know your daily routine.

Deana said...

A big thanks goes out to the support team - Boo, Don and Brooke!! Thanks for keeping my man safe on his ride and for buying him the occasional ice cream cone. Those are imperative to his survival! Those - and Preparation H.

Everyone I run into at school, at the grocery store, at work, and on the streets, asks about your progress. Have a great day and enjoy the reunion tomorrow.

Deana

Rocky Mountain Hands said...

Hey Poink -
Glad to see you're still rollin'.
I've got the whole Hand Clan here with me. Everyone sends their support. Cooper wants to send one of his diapers in support of your bottom. It's a dirty one, so it'll have a little somethin' extra in there for you! I'm thinking a little detour up to the Rockies would give you a nice downhill run back into Austin.
Keep on Rollin'!!

Shenoah said...

D,
Way to charge forward! I wish I was riding with you, though I don't think I could keep up... It sounds like your mental and physical games are on and I know you'll keep it that way. I'm riding tomorrow, but probably only 30 miles, definitely not enough to hit the Dairy Queen....
Have fun,
sp

Don & Joanne said...

Hey, we are waiting for the "call" to come assist. Let us know if and when you need additional backup support and we'll do our best to get there and then not to run over you when we follow!

Enjoy the rest and the reunion!

Don & Jo