Friday, August 17, 2007

Introduction


Hi - I'm DeWayne Wilson and this is my attempt to document my first cross country bicycle trip from Washington DC to Austin, Texas schedule for the end of August and September, 2007. I not very proficient with the bloggers world so this is going to be an effort filled with mistakes and learning along the way. I'm putting this blog out here so that friends and family can check it to see what progress I'm making along the way and as a resource for any biker that is contemplating a similar ride.

I guess what I hear most from friends and family when I mention this trip is "Why?" So, I should start by trying to provide some insight into why I'm attempting a 2,000 mile, solo, self supported, trek in August. Biking has always been a great source of exercise, stress relief, opportunity to enjoy the outdoors for me. When I moved to Austin in '93 I got involved in doing mini-triathlons with some friends, even shaving my head thinking that would motivate me to take the sport seriously. After a few years, my hair grew back and I couldn't overcome my aversion to running, but I kept riding and swimming. Austin is a great town that seems to foster taking advantage of all the outdoor activities the surroundings have to offer, so I kept investing my time and money into biking.

When the company I worked for was purchased in '98, a colleague took that opportunity to bike the California coast and I was so impressed with the achievement and personal satisfaction that he experienced; that I vowed to attempt a similar effort at some point down the line. The opportunity to plan and attempt this trek became possible with the sale of my company in Nov. '06. I was fortunate enough to have been involved as an original partner in the start-up and growth of a successful company for the past 6 years and ultimately its sale. Having a supportive wage earning wife and daughter has also been key at making this ride a reality.

Even coming up with a name for the ride was a challenge. Gravy is a nickname started by a few friends that I vacation in Vegas with every year - so a shout out to the Phili gang for their contribution to the ride. Because I do feel fortunate for many things, but especially for the opportunity to esssentially take the past year off - Gravy Train seemed an appropriate label. The ride is scheduled to begin at the Capitol in DC on Friday August 24, head south following US Bike Route 1 through Virginia and N. Carolina, west after crossing into s. Carolina, a brief stop just north of Atlanta for a family reunion, take the Silver Comet to the GA border, pick up the Chief Ladiga Trail in Alabama, some back roads thru Alabama to Tupelo, MS where I pick up the Natchez Trace, across southern Louisiana, and follow the 2007 MS150 route from Houston to Austin. My goal is to be back in Austin by Sept. 13, but I'll be able to adjust my daily riding goal of 100mi if needed so it could be later.